Monday, August 28, 2017

Back to School

Today is the day...
My big kiddos head BACK TO SCHOOL!

Ebby Lee will be in third grade and Nixon will be in second.  Bowen starts his pre-k preschool class next week and Britt and I will be shuttling them all to and from.  :)

On days like today I have ALL THE THOUGHTS rolling through my head...
*Will they be kind to everyone?
*Will they invite the shy kiddo who's new to play?
*Will they be confident enough to raise their hand and answer?
*Will they...will they...will they?

I'm telling you ALL THE THOUGHTS are swimming around in my head.  We've been praying for this school year and have been doing our best to prepare.  Now it's time to see what they've got.  :)

 These little pieces of my heart will be walking the halls of the local elementary school instead of spending all their free time at the pool with me all summer.  It's so bittersweet.

One of the hardest days of my life was sending sweet little five-year-old Ebby Lee to kindergarten.  I was a blubbering mess that day and I have no doubts we arrived thirty minutes early to sit in the carpool line.  We were so eager to pick her up.  Mamas sending kindergarten babies to school...it gets so much easier.  That first day {and so far the first kid has been the hardest} is just tough!

I just thought I'd share a few BACK TO SCHOOL things since it's on our minds over here.  :)

If you're looking for a little inspiration for BACK TO SCHOOL clothes, be sure to check out this post.  

A couple years ago I shared our favorite BACK TO SCHOOL recipes.  We've added a few new favorites but these are still our tried and trues.  :)

I also polled you guys for some great BACK TO SCHOOL traditions and then I compiled a list of the top recommendations.  You can see the list here.  As silly as it sounds (and looks) a reader suggested decorating the front door on the first day.  I did just that on Ebby Lee's first day of kindergarten and she remembered it ALL YEAR LONG!  So now it's a thing!  I get decorations at Dollar Tree...even GET WELL SOON balloons if that's all they have and decorate the front door/yard.  Last year I also grabbed silly string and we had a blast!  {Just keepin' it real...I actually FORGOT on the first day of school last year and did all this on the SECOND day.  Trust me...I have about five alarms set for today so I don't forget.  :)}

Now I'm off to meet some of my favorite girls at our BACK TO SCHOOL breakfast.

Moms of littles...hug your babies a little tighter today.  The days are going to fly by and before you know it...you'll be sending them off to kindergarten.  If you're like me...you'll be excited to see them go but you'll miss them like crazy.  I might hold Bowen and Britt all afternoon.  ;)

Good luck to all the BACK TO SCHOOL'ers!

14 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

Andrew just walked in my office and said he was sad...and I am too!! This day is so bittersweet. Here's hoping for a grade year!! I just know they're all going to rock 2nd and 3rd grade! (And Pre-K too ;) )!

Narci said...

Aw!! Happy 1st day of second and third grade to Ebby Lee and Nixon!! xoxo

Elspeth Mizner said...

Have a great first day and school year!!

Julie Ritchie said...

Talk about time flying! I just sent my baby girl to high school today 😳
Enjoy every second with your little ones. It really does go way too fast 💨

Perfectly Port said...

Happy First Day and I agree that first one going off to school was HARD. I choked up this year but then we were off to drop the other one off so I had to pull it together and I am use being home without them now. It is bittersweet though :). Xoxo ERIN

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

I remember dropping off my first for kinder and cried all day long. Then #2 was a repeat # 3 I cried as I dropped him off thinking I will never have another baby to ever drop off at school on their very first day. Next week I'll be sending off a grade 8, 6, 4 .. and I'm more like ' SEE YA SUCKERS' mom's outta here!!!.. just kidding #sortof. .. I do worry still the exact same things as kinder. Will they be nice, will people be kind, will they choose the good things, will they be strong against peers.. it's never ends! !!

Heidi said...

I hope your kiddos have a great first day! I'm always such an nervous wreck that my husband usually goes into work late or works from home on the first day to help support ME! Ha.
www.heidiwanderstheworld.com

Ann Marie said...

Happy first day, Ebby Lee and Nixon!!! Enjoy breakfast, Mamma!

Amanda @ That Inspired Chick said...

This was probably my first year where I wasn't sad to see my two off! Ha! They were both so ready and I had to stop them from running down the street so they could come back and give me a hug and get a picture. All they cared about was walking to school with their friends! (So that actually did make me a little sad!). But other than that...this mama needed some quiet time! ;) Had so much fun this morning at breakfast!!! We should do that once a month. Happy Monday!!

That Inspired Chick

tarheelmom said...

First day is hard. I have 8th, 5th, 3rd, & 1st! I feel so old! I used to have babies and preschoolers!
I always write on the driveway on the first day "179 more days to go" and again a countdown on the last 3 days!

Laura @ Laura Likes Design said...

I love that you guys do a little brunch with the neighborhood crew! Such a fun tradition!

mandabee said...

Love the idea of a back to school breakfast with the mommmas. Hope your kiddos had a great first day back!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Man I missed my kid like crazy today! But it sure was awesome to see the smile on his face as he walked out of school. Hope everybody had great first days! I loved the walk down memory lane!

Ashley said...

So cute! Random question, but do you have a Pinterest? :)